Contact Us | 415.323.0030
AchieveMission is the only nonprofit consulting firm that brings together experience
in the nonprofit sector, talent and performance management and technology
Unparalleled capabilities in leadership and human capital management for nonprofits and foundations
Collectively we have overseen more than 1,000 nonprofit capacity building consulting engagements, worked in-house for many of the country’s most innovative and entrepreneurial nonprofits –including Citizen Schools, Jumpstart, Taproot Foundation and City Year – and led global Leadership Development, Succession and Talent Management at GE and IBM, two organizations that define best practices in these areas.
James W. Shepard, Jr.
James Shepard is President and CEO of AchieveMission. Drawing on more than twenty years of experience in consulting and technology he leads AchieveMission efforts to deliver technology-driven, mission-enhancing services to nonprofits. James has experience in both nonprofit and corporate settings in areas of central concern to those in leadership and governance roles include strategy, operations, human capital management and technology.
James is Chair of the Board and an active member of the executive team where he plays a leading role in strategy, fundraising and client development. James joined AchieveMission via a merger with Talent Initiative where he was Founder & CEO. Concurrent with his work at AchieveMission, James also serves as the Founder & CEO of Commongood Careers, a retained search firm that enables innovative nonprofits across the country to recruit and hire outstanding talent at every organizational level. He also serves as the Board Chair of Emerging Practitioners in Philanthropy and as Committee Co-Chair of Reimagining Service.
Mike is a Partner at AchieveMission. He is an internationally recognized expert in leadership development, talent management and succession. Most recently he led global leadership development, talent management and succession planning at IBM (a company widely regarded as a leader in developing and applying best practices in human capital management). He held similar positions at GE, including leading the design and global delivery of GE’s widely-emulated leadership and executive development curriculum at the famed Crotonville Center. Mike began his career in the public benefit sector and has sat on several nonprofit boards throughout his career.
Karen is Vice President of Technology for AchieveMission. She draws on more than twenty years of experience creating and deploying innovative enterprise and SaaS applications in her work configuring and implementing software for AchieveMission clients.
Edith is a Consultant with AchieveMission. She has held senior talent management roles and led talent management consulting engagements at several nationally recognized social entrepreneurial organizations including Citizen Schools, City Year, Root Capital and Jumpstart.
Shivani is a Consultant with AchieveMission. She has led Human Resources and Operation functions in both high-growth corporations and local nonprofits. Shivani is particularly strong producing ROI financial assessments of talent management initiatives, and implementing talent management technology solutions.
Joanne is a Consultant with AchieveMission. Joanne’s background exemplifies the emerging strategic role of human capital management in the nonprofit sector. Most recently, she held both human resources and P&L responsibilities at the largest American Red Cross regional office where she led efforts to restructure half a dozen local chapters in the New York and Connecticut area, simplifying lines of reporting, consolidating back office operations, and improving performance.
Harini is an Associate Consultant at AchieveMission. Harini received her Masters in Education from Harvard University where her initiative and innovative work was recognized in a fellowship from the Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation. Earlier she received a Fellowship for Emerging Leaders in Public Service from the Wagner School of Public Service at New York University (NYU), and a BA in English from Columbia University where she was a Gertrude and William P. Schweitzer Scholar.
As an effective complement to our board of directors, our advisors help us bring the best solutions to the nonprofit sector.
Talent and Performance Management in Nonprofit Sector
- James Baron, Professor of Management at Yale School of Management. Formerly Professor of Organizational Behavior and Human Resources at Stanford Graduate School of Business
- Tom Eddington, Angel Investor and Board Member, Taproot Foundation. Formerly, Partner, Hewitt Associates
- RoJean DeChantal, formerly Partner AchieveMission and earlier leader of worldwide human resources functions in three world-spanning Fortune 500 companies and a key contributors in the development and launch of the Taproot Foundation's Leadership Development & Strategic Human Resources Consulting practice.
- Mark Lipton, Management Professor and formerly Chairman of Graduate Management Programs, Milano School of International Affairs, Management and Urban Policy
- Saul Macias, Director, Human Resources at Stupski Foundation and Board of Directors at Northern California Human Resources Association
- Elaine Mason, Director, Organizational Effectiveness, American Express and formerly Board Member, Taproot Foundation
- Jean McCall, Director of Human Resources, Hewlett Foundation
- Ed Newman, Chief Analyst at Inside Talent Management Technology. Formerly Founder and President of the Newman Group now a division of Korn/Ferry International
- Christine Pallatto, Director of Human Resources and Organizational Development at The Global Fund for Women and Board Member, Northern California Human Resources Association
- David Simms, Chairman, Network Board at Opportunity International. Formerly Partner and Head of Bridgestar at The Bridgespan Group
- Cass Wheeler, formerly CEO, American Heart Association
- Billy Hinners, Partner, The StrataFusion Group
- Chris Harmon, Consultant to more than 10 SaaS companies including SuccessFactors and Foundation Source
- Paul Work, Angel Investor. Interim COO Xomad, LLC.
- Steven Anderson, Senior Technology Strategist and eBusiness Consultant at AltaSource Group
Wikinomics, Community and Movement Leadership
- Bill Kaufman, SVP Content, Community & Product, Wikia
- Aaron Hurst, Founder & President Taproot Foundation and Board Member, Boardsource.
Dedicated to strengthening nonprofits and foundations by improving their ability to effectively transform strategy into tangible mission results
Executive Vice President for Human Resources,
Los Angeles Urban League
In 20 years working as an employment attorney and senior HR executive I have never worked with a team that combined world-class strategic talent and performance management capabilities with
such a deft ability to work with a nonprofit organization. Plus, they're a joy to work with.
Learn About our Growing Team
STAFF: Mike Markovits, Partner. Most recently Vice President, Business and Technical Leadership, IBM
STAFF: Joanne Rencher, Consultant. Fomerly, Chief People Officer, American Red Cross, NY
ADVISORY BOARD: James Baron, Professor of Management, Yale School of Management, co-author Strategic Human Resources: Frameworks for General Managers